I heard this quote for the first time about two years ago. A good friend of mine here at work had it posted in her cube. I heard it and I liked it. But I didn't really think about it. I have always been enamored by things related to dance. This was just another "thing" about dance, right?
At that time, I was going through a very rough time both personally and professionally. I was wanting anything and everything that would just make me feel better and make all the bad stuff go away. I kept saying "Everything happens for a reason" and "God doesn't give us more than we can handle", hoping that eventually I would believe it.
Now, two years later I have found myself with new "storms". Am I dancing? No. But I want to. I want to make all the bad stuff go away, but that isn't real. I want to teach my kids that life isn't fair and bad things happen, but you have to learn to deal with it and not let it impact your life negatively. To learn from the negative experience, turn it into a positive. Such a Pollyanna thought, but isn't it true? Why don't we all want to play "The Glad Game". We need to find something to be glad about in every situation. Look for the good. What's the point of letting a negative experience turn you into a bitter person? Why is it so hard to learn to dance in the rain? Notice the quote doesn't say dance in the rain. It says LEARNING to dance in the rain.
It's amazing that while trying to teach our children a lesson, we end up learning something ourselves. These "storms" we have been dealing with lately - I haven't been dancing. But I am going to now. I'm going to dance and I'm going to teach my kids that dancing through the storms is the only way to go.
Choose to DANCE.
~C